RCE Americas Wiki:Main Page
This Wiki is designed to be used as a collaborative, shared resources page for all the Americas RCEs. Resources added to this page should be general SDG, ESD, and other RCE-related topics that are not region-specific. Resources specific to one RCE or region should be added to that RCE's website. A link to all the RCEs is included in the Global RCE Network section.
For instructions on how to edit/add to the Wiki, see here.
This page is maintained by RCE Greater Atlanta. Feel free to email us directly at [email protected] with any questions.
UN SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals)
- Sustainable Development Goals Knowledge Platform
- United Nations’ introduction to the SDGs and The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- SDG 4: Quality Education
- This SDG is the primary focus of all RCEs, especially Target 4.7: “By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development.”
- Learning to live together sustainably (SDG4.7): Trends and Progress
- UNESCO contributes to the measuring of progress towards Target 4.7 of Sustainable Development Goal 4 on Education which focuses on Global Citizenship Education (GCED) and Education for Sustainable Development (ESD). This webpage publishes regular reports, news, analyses and publications produced by UNESCO and its partners which provide evidence and links to data sets that indicate how the world is progressing towards the achievement of this target.
- SDG Dashboard
- Sustainable Development Goals Interactive Dashboard is a data-driven initiative that supports tracking and monitoring of the United Nations’ global goals. The dashboard uses data from the UN Statistics Division's (UNSD) SDG Global Database to allow users to explore and visualize data to analyze progress. The SDGs Dashboard enables users to perform easy analysis via innovative visualizations and tools for exploring data from global data sources. The interactive platform includes the capability to link national statistical office (NSO) data and government databases with the SDGs Dashboard.
- SDSN SDG Academy
- The SDG Academy is an educational initiative of the Sustainable Development Solutions Network. The Academy provides free online resources and courses with educational content on health, education, climate change, agriculture and food systems, and sustainable investment.
- Goalkeepers: A Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Bringing together a new generation of leaders to accelerate progress toward the Global Goals
- The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) provides innovative learning solutions to individuals, organizations and institutions to enhance global decision-making and support country-level action for shaping a better future. UNITAR aims to enhance capacities towards UN Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for a better future for all.
- Youth & the Sustainable Development Goals Course
- UNITAR and Kennesaw State University in collaboration with the Georgia Institute of Technology’s Serve Learn and Sustain Center, and the Regional Centre of Expertise on Education for Sustainable Development (RCE) Greater Atlanta are pleased to offer this e-Learning course to educate young individuals in identifying social, economic, and ecological sustainability needs of RCE member communities, as well as to teach them skills for collaborating with diverse stakeholders to create and implement sustainable development action projects.
- 170 Actions to Combat Climate Change
- There are 170 actions for the 17 goals. This booklet is part of the “170 Series” launched by the  of the UN. It gives you 10 suggestions for each of the 17 SDG goals about what you can do on a daily basis to protect the world. It is designed to help individuals figure out what to do on a daily basis.
- Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- This book series encompasses 17 volumes, each devoted to one of the 17 SDGs. GT/SLS/RCE Greater Atlanta alum Nicole Kennard has published an article in it, in the "Zero Hunger" chapter - "Urban Agriculture: Opportunities and Challenges for Sustainable Development".
- The 17 SDGs
- The United Nations' video depicting all 17 SDGs.
- Making the World a Better Place by 2030
- Social progress expert Michael Green hosts a Ted Talk to help us imagine how the SDGs and their vision for a better world can be achieved by 2030.
Sustainable Development with US Cities and Universities
- 2019 US Cities Sustainable Development Report
- The 2019 US Cities Sustainable Development Report is Sustainable Development Solutions Network’s third city-level report ranking 105 US cities on progress towards the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals for 2030 (SDGs).
- The ‘SDG Effect’: The emerging Pittsburgh platform to deliver the global goals locally
- Brookings' story on Pittsburgh's movement to commit to the SDGs and lessons for other cities interested in adopting plans to meet the SDGs.
- Tackling the Sustainable Development Goals one bite at a time (Podcast)
- Podcast detailing the work of Carnegie Mellon University on the SDGs
Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
- Education for Sustainable Development
- UNESCO’s introduction to ESD including links to ESD resources. There is growing international recognition of ESD as an integral element of quality education and a key enabler for sustainable development. The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) adopted by the global community for the next 15 years include ESD. Target 4.7 of SDG 4 on education addresses ESD and related approaches such as Global Citizenship Education. UNESCO is responsible for the coordination of the Global Action Programme (GAP) on ESD.
- Global Action Programme on Education for Sustainable Development
- The Global Action Programme (GAP) on ESD, the follow- up programme to the Decade of ESD (2005-2014), seeks to generate and scale-up ESD and to accelerate progress towards sustainable development. This website outlines the main objectives of the GAP and its implementation strategies including information on priority action areas, GAP partner networks and the GAP Roadmap, as well as news and resources from UNESCO and its GAP key partners.
- Education 2030 Learning Objectives
- For The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
[In the new 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development]...Education is explicitly formulated as a stand-alone goal – Sustainable Development Goal 4. Numerous education related targets and indicators are also contained within other Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Education is both a goal in itself and a means for attaining all the other SDGs. It is not only an integral part of sustainable development, but also a key enabler for it. That is why education represents an essential strategy in the pursuit of the SDGs. This publication is designed as a guide for education professionals on the use of ESD in learning for the SDGs, and consequently to contribute to achieving the SDGs. The guide identifies indicative learning objectives and suggests topics and learning activities for each SDG. It also presents implementation methods at different levels, from course design to national strategies.
- For The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Sustainable Foundations: A Guide for Teaching the Sustainable Development Goals
- Contains suggestions for connecting each SDG to broader curricula, as well as reflection questions, resources, and case studies.
- AASHE Webinar Recording - 'ESD for 2030: The Future Depends on Us!'
- Kim Smith, Portland Community College Sociology Instructor and co-founder of RCE Greater Portland, offered a webinar on the framework and upcoming launch of the decade, for the Association of the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) on the 22nd of January in 2020. The webinar highlighted sustainability projects around the world, UNESCO's ESD vision, and how we can all help create a sustainable future.
- World's Largest Lesson
- The World's Largest Lesson is hosted by The Global Goals to introduce the SDGs to children and young people everywhere and unite them in action. The goal is to use the 17 SDGs to fight extreme poverty, fight inequality and justice, and tackle climate change by 2030.
Global RCE Network
- Global RCE Network
- One of the initial goals for the ESD project was creating a global multi-stakeholder network of Regional Centres of Expertise on ESD (RCEs). These RCEs leverage the Global Action Programme (GAP) on ESD and the SDGs to enact change in their local communities.
- RCE Americas
- Learn more about each of the RCE Americas networks on their own websites, many of which include additional resources.
Videos and Publications By/About RCE Networks
- Academia and Communities: Engaging for Change
- This publication includes a great introduction to ESD as well as case studies of university-community partnerships from RCEs around the world.
- 9th Americas Regional Meeting
- The 9th Americas RCE Regional Meeting was held virtually (online) on 13 October and 14 October, 2020 and hosted by RCE Salisbury under the theme 'The Future is Now – Sustainable Development'. The comprehensive programme included discussions on the intersections between education for sustainable development (ESD) and other disciplines of academic study, as well as how working with partners from other sectors, such as business and NGOs, enhances learning.
- Video Resources for RCE Greater Atlanta
- A comprehensive list of RCE Greater Atlanta video resources, including resources for UN SDGs, ESD as well as other topics.
Networks for Social Change
- A Network Way of Working: A Compilation of Considerations about Effectiveness in Networks
- Short blog post about what a network is and how it differs from other types of organizational and even collaborative structures